We all need a break from our busy lives from time to time and a weekend away can often be the perfect tonic. Here, to make it as stress-free as possible, Olivia Purvis reveals her essential building blocks for a quick-and-easy pack
Sometimes booking a last-minute mini getaway is essential (especially when 7am pitch black commutes start to become the norm – darn you, winter). Maybe a luxury cruise isn’t on the cards, maybe it’s a trip away with work – but whatever type of break you manage to cram into your schedule, the key to a stress-free weekend is all in the packing (which should take the length of an advert break if planned correctly).
No matter where you’re off to, it’s nice to have a variety of options – ranging from a ‘day out’ outfit, something comfy for chilling out in the evening and something slightly more special – be it for a romantic meal or get-together with friends.
A day of exploring
For a day out outfit, in my opinion – you can’t go wrong with a pretty white blouse, jeans and the comfiest boots known to man (anything with a low heel in tan is perfect for this trans-seasonal weather). It’s a look perfect for layering up with a winter coat if the weather is slightly temperamental too. This classic combination also works very well with some classic courts for the evening if you don’t want to waste a moment changing into eveningwear.
An evening to yourselves
Break the rules: an evening outfit doesn’t have to mean a sparkly dress and the highest of heels (although, they’re always welcome). I like to opt for classic stripes (feeling French is always a good thing) paired with my favourite red lipstick and these incredible bejewelled Boden flats – the ultimate day-to-night pump and one that I’m pretty sure everyone goes weak at the knees for.
Finally, what’s a mini break without a bit of me-time? Make sure to pack some cosy PJ bottoms for some well-earned comfort. Paired with a basic tee and snuggly socks – you’re bound to catch up on all of those family-and-work missed Zs and get some rest.
Want the ultimate grab-and-go checklist? Then print out my very handy list below…
- A perfect pair of go-to jeans – slouchy boyfriend styles or fitted skinnies can both be dressed up and down.
- A staple white blouse or shirt to take you from day to night.
- Comfortable boots for exploring the city or countryside.
- A weather-appropriate coat: rain macs or pea coats are your flexible friends.
- A simple or printed dress to wear out.
- A pair of special flats that’ll take you from dancefloor to brunch.
- Some cosy socks or slippers for some wind-down time at the hotel.
- Your favourite PJ bottoms – a lady needs the perfect pair to slip into after a bubble bath, correct?
- A couple of plain T-shirts for bed or to wear pared-down with jeans.
- A day-time carryall.
- An evening clutch for key card, lipstick, phone and cash.
- A camera (take a film or disposable camera – half of the fun is getting them developed post-holiday).
- Your favourite beauty bits – go travel size to save time at the airport!